The Royal British Legion (RBL) approached us to help them optimize the donations journey across their mobile, web and tablet devices. We developed a prototype with some suggested changes to test with users before implementation, followed by A/B testing work to further refine the process.
The Royal British Legion wanted to work with our experienced UX consultants to optimise the donations journey for their key persona groups.
The main objectives were to:
• Identify a list of UX improvements for the existing donations journey.
• Focus the donations journey around the needs of their core persona groups.
• Develop these changes in to a revised interactive prototype to test with users.
• Identify any potential issues through usability testing and modify the prototype to take these changes in to consideration ready for implementation.
• Optimise the user journey using A/B testing to increase the number of donations.
We started the process with an end to end review of the existing donations journey based on the requirements of their user personas following a number of 1:1 interviews.
We also performed an expert review of the process to identify any potential missed opportunities for improving the overall conversion rate to donation.
We consolidated this information and built it in to an interactive clickable prototype that was then used as the basis of discussion during usability testing. These sessions informed us of the effectiveness of the potential changes and identified additional areas for improvement that had not been identified. The prototype was updated and the developers used this to inform the final website changes.
Following the implementation of the journey modifications we worked with the client team to make some additional improvements through A/B testing. Our preferred tool of choice for this is Optimizely, although we can also use Visual Web Optimizer.
The changes led to a 13% improvement in the number of donations made through the website, and this is now being further optimised to better the existing control journey. This was a successful outcome for the client and provided them with a clear return on investment.